Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Soon

About a year ago I read online that a blogger was looking for an illustrator for her children's book. I happened to know her. Well, I "knew" her in the online sense. It was the beautiful Jessica Watson from Four Plus an Angel and I Just Want to Pee Alone. We're totally facebook friends and co-authors and stuff. I was excited!

I eloquently commented, "Hi. I illustrate."

The match was made. She obviously couldn't resist my charm.

Jessica told me the subject of her book: a preemie's journey into life in the form of a bedtime story. Subject matter that is common, yet highly unwritten about in a children's book format. I was intrigued, to say the least.

Jessica sent me the text of her book titled Soon. The moment I read it, I was absolutely blown away. Every so often we have the pleasure of encountering words that affect us so deeply. Words that give us chills. Words that matter in this world. That is what Jessica had written. I knew that this book needed special attention because it was going to be important to so many people. The pressure was on to bring her beautiful story to life in pictures.

She and I worked together discussing the overall 'feel' of the story and decided upon simple watercolors with a slightly dreamy quality. Now, a year after that fateful facebook thread, I feel like we achieved or goal. We are both very excited for the public to get to take this book into their homes and hearts.

The book, Soon, is now available for purchase on Amazon in both paperback and Kindle format. If you have a preemie in your life, you will adore this book. If you know of someone who has a preemie, this book is the perfect gift for them. We encourage you to read, share and love this story!

xxoo,
Johi



"What happens when a baby is born weeks or months before their due date? "Soon" takes the reader on a hopeful journey, honoring the fighting spirit of a preemie along the way. When you have a preemie there has never before been a sweet book to read to your children about the story of their early birth and homecoming. "Soon" fills this void by telling the story of a premature baby from birth to NICU to childhood in words a child can understand. Beautiful, realistic illustrations give a glimpse into the NICU world without overwhelming young children with too many tubes and wires. Families will treasure time spent turning the pages of "Soon" together and smiling with pride at how far they have come." 


5 comments:

  1. Although, I was too young to remember it at the time, my brother was a preemie. Born 8 weeks too early. It was rough going for about two weeks, but no problems after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have berb such a stressful experience for your folks! I'm glad he didn't have ongoing problems.

      Delete
  2. During the year prior to my joining the firm I now work at, TWO preemies were born to staff members. They are now about 3. One still has severe medical problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be a wonderful book for your co-workers to read to their little ones.

      Delete

  3. Admin, if not okay please remove!

    Our facebook group “selfless” is spending this month spreading awareness on prostate cancer & research with a custom t-shirt design. Purchase proceeds will go to cancer.org, as listed on the shirt and shirt design.

    www.teespring.com/prostate-cancer-research

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete