Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Truth by Tot

"Why does she talk funny?"

"Why is his yard so full of junk?"

"Why does her face look like that?"

"Wook at that funny man's BIG BELLY!"

Children are such precious, unfiltered little things. I cannot tell you the number of times that I have been treated to them making a very loud observation about a person... and that person is within hearing distance. Usually I avoid eye contact with whomever was the subject of the highly inappropriate, yet true statement. Instead of looking guilty, I take the opportunity to lean down to speak in a hushed voice to my child about how it isn't nice to say such things. Because I'm parenting.
Also, I don't want to see the person see my smirking face.

Then I laugh a little on the inside, because the straight-up truth coming from the adorable mouth of an innocent child is often funny to me. That is, unless I am the target.

My friend always says, "What makes you laugh, makes you cry."

Ain't that the truth?

Read my story, titled "The hair-raising truth", In the Powder Room. I'm honored to be there, talking about my body hair. My Mom is probably pretty proud of me right now... because I'm talking about pubic hair...  on the Internet.... again.

Sorry Mom.


Read Me In the Powder Room!

No comments:

Post a Comment