Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Add a Little Joyous Noise to Your Life

As a mother, I often revel in the tiny moments of silence that I am granted. I am surrounded by noise every day. From the barking of dogs to the roaring engines of assholes lovely neighbors speeding by my house, my environment is filled with sound. Inside my house, the walls and my eardrums are constantly being penetrated by the bleeping of battery operated toys and the accompanying vrooming and rambunctious play noises being generated by my children. Then there are the demands, the whining, the fighting, or even the happy play at volume 11. While I love my life, the noise level is a lot for me to absorb every day. So when I find quiet, I revel in it. So much so, that I often forget that I actually enjoy some noise; specifically music.

Every once in a while, I listen to the radio while driving my old pick-up truck. While basking in the glow of my orange check-engine light, I find a song and it makes me move, sing, and feel joy. Afterward, I revel in the feeling of discovering a new dimension to my weary self. My heart feels lighter, my mind feels more clear, and I regain the ability to laugh and smile.

Today, it was this song. This song that made me break into my version of "road harmony". This song that brought me a little much needed renewed joy. This song that reminded me of my odd teenage obsession with folk, bluegrass and classic-rock music. In 1993, when everyone I knew was listening to Boyz to Men, AC/DC and Micheal Fucking Bolton, I was listening to Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Alison Krauss and James Taylor. I guess some of us have always marched to our own beat- or grooved in our own unique and slightly spastic way behind the wheel of an old, muddy pick-up truck.






I hope you are able to carve out a little space in your day and fill it with your own brand of joyous noise.

Peace, Love and Music,
Johi

No comments:

Post a Comment