Saturday, September 21, 2013

TMI Fridays- Divine Secrets of a Domestic Diva

Susan McLean writes the hilarious Divine Secrets of a Domestic Diva. She is witty, hysterical, and self-deprecating. She poses in Macy's dressing rooms and takes pictures of herself in unflattering ways- it's like we were separated at birth! I want to be her neighbor so that together we can choreograph dance routines in her kitchen. Then later, we could cool off with a bottle of wine in the kiddie pool 

Susan has a beautiful knack for writing honestly about parenting and aging, and all of the glamour that comes with it.


Nothing says glamorous quite like a pink sequined prom dress and laundry.

Susan and I *met* through our mutual authoring of the hilarious anthology I Just Want to Pee Alone. She penned "The Tale of Two Vaginas", which made women around the globe shudder in commiseration and me made thankful, so so thankful, that I had two C-sections. 

Susan is talented, chaotic, sleep deprived, and a well of seemingly endless hilarity and brilliance. You guys are going to love her. I know that I do, and I naturally assume that we all love the same things. If I'm wrong, you should reconsider your stance, because I have impeccable taste and the credit card bill to prove it.



Johi: When did you first realize that you loved writing? Why a blog?

Susan: Reading and writing were always my strong suits in school, but I also enjoyed the creative aspect of writing.  Even more than that, I've always been a storyteller.  In my large, close-knit extended family, it's something we do every time we get together.  Among friends I'm always being asked to tell someone "about the time that..." And even in my career as a corporate trainer, I had an audience. Granted, they had to be there, but still, I enjoy the connection with people that comes with sharing my experiences as well as the feeling when I can make other people laugh.  If I had the courage, I might have tried stand-up comedy, but since I don't, a blog seemed like a great way to get that connection, share my experiences and hopefully make people laugh through writing.  It was also my main source of adult interaction when I first stayed home with my then 1 and 3 year old boys while I was pregnant with my daughter.

Johi: Tell us about your family.

Susan: My husband and I met at work in what feels like a lifetime ago.  We have been married almost a decade, and we have three kids- Joey who is 8, Jake who is 6, and Cecilia who is 4.  We also have a dog, Baxter, who thinks he's one of the kids.


Johi: What is your favorite thing about writing a blog?  

Susan: I love the attention!  Just kidding (sort of)!  As I mentioned before I love the connection with readers.  Many times I use my blog to share moments that aren't always my finest; maybe it's something that was embarrassing or stressful with the kids, or even something that I'm going through that is leaving me feeling slightly exasperated or sub-par.  Since I primarily write humor, forcing myself to see the funny side of just about any situation is actually really helpful, and almost always I get a reader or two who will confess that they have gone through the same thing.  Writing my blog has certainly made me feel less alone, or at the very least like I'm not the only one who's living a less than Hallmark-like lifestyle.

Johi: What subject is taboo to talk about on your blog and why?

Susan: I wouldn't say there's anything I wouldn't feel comfortable discussing; but my blog is all humor, or at least it's supposed to be, so you won't see me tackling big issues unless it's something I think can be made funny.  However, I do take care not to post about personal situations that have happened to my kids, husband, family or friends that they might find embarrassing. For a while, I think some of the people who know me were afraid I might spill the beans about certain situations on my blog which I'd never do without permission.

Johi: Brock's friends keep calling him and saying, "YOU SHOULD SEE WHAT JOHI IS SAYING ABOUT YOU!" What they don't know is: 1.) I always check with him first and B.) I think he does stupid shit on purpose. 876.) He thinks it is funny to irritate me.

Johi: What has been the best part about being a SAHM?  

Susan: The bon-bons!  No, the naps!  No, it's got to be all the free time!  
Truthfully, I had some misconceptions about the whole SAHM gig until I was neck deep in it, but I am very thankful to be able to be home with my kids.  My Mom didn't go back to work until I was a little older, and I remember her always being there when I was little.  I'm grateful to be able to have that experience with my own kids.

Johi: What has been the worst?

Susan: Well the pay and the time off - particularly sick time - sucks.  But I think the reward is the smile on my kid's faces and getting to fold all that laundry.  You can't put a price on that...




Johi: What life experience affected or changed you the most?

Susan: Becoming a mother has absolutely had the biggest impact on me, and I thought that by my third kid the awe would have worn off a little but it didn't.  It's an incredible, fragile, terrifying and frustrating thing - motherhood that is.

Johi: What is your ultimate parenting goal?  

Susan: To raise kids that aren't assholes.  That might sound crass, but just walking around the world as it is today, I think it's not only a necessity, but will be challenging. 

Johi: Who is your inspiration? 

Susan: I look up to people who have the ability to make other people laugh, who want to go out and make the world a better place, who see the value in big and small acts of kindness, and people who can find humor in any situation.  Anyone who can do that, I find inspiring, and I'm lucky to know more than a few inspirational people.  Celebrity wise, I'd love to meet someone like Ellen Degeneres who I think sums all that up as well.

Johi: Describe your perfect day.

Susan: A quiet, healthy, warm, uncrowded day at the beach where I had a babysitter, booze, beach fries and could read a book and take a nap.  Hell, who am I kidding?  I'm happy with just the beach fries.

Johi: Note to self- Google "beach fries"


Johi: Who is your celebrity free pass?

Susan: Alexander Skarsgard
*fans self*


http://tchadquarterly.com/alexander-skarsgard-for-the-crow-remake/
Johi: I completely approve.

Johi: If you could pick one of the following to add to your resume, which would it be and why? 
World Domination
A-List Celebrity
Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize

Susan: World Domination seems like a lot of work, and celebrities come and go, so I think I'd go with Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize. 

Johi: What should I make for dinner tonight?

Susan: Whoa.  I don't think you should "make" anything.  That's why God invented take-out.

Johi: Tell me something random about yourself.

Susan: I've never eaten meatloaf in my entire life.  Not even one bite one time.  My Mom made it for my Dad once, before I was born, and he said "This isn't how my mother makes it."  She swore she'd never cook it again - and never has to my knowledge - and by the time I was old enough to eat it anywhere else, a "loaf" of meat never struck me as appetizing.

Johi: You would like my meatloaf. It goes great with a giant box of Cabernet.

Johi: What is your guilty pleasure?

Susan: Napping, but it never ever happens.  Last time it did, my kids drew a tramp stamp on me while I was sleeping.  Lesson learned.

Johi: What is your favorite essay in I Just Want to Pee Alone and why?

Susan: I'm not sure I could pick just one.  I could relate to so many, and even the ones that I couldn't, I still found myself laughing out loud.


Loving the cup/bottle holder.





Susan's Bio:
Between love and madness lies...motherhood. No one knows this better perhaps than Susan McLean, a freelance writer, humorist, and blogger. Her website, The Divine Secrets of a Domestic Diva, was named one of the funniest Mom Blogs by Parents.com in 2011 and also in 2011, 2012, and 2013 by Circle of Moms.  Susan's humorous take on motherhood has landed her on the Dr. Oz Show, the winner of a Mad Housewife Wine Label contest, and additionally her work has been featured in Huffington Post Parents, Redbook.com, LA Times, RealBeauty.com, Circle of Moms and more.

So if you're ready to admit that it's not all Hallmark Moments, you should come take a look at the lighter side motherhood and being an aging, sleep-deprived mother of three young children at DivineSecretsofaDomesticDiva.com.

Susan's links are below, you should click on ALL of them, because Susan is awesomesauce:
Join me on FacebookTwitter, Pinterest, & YouTube

11 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me! I might take you up on the box of Cabernet next time I'm in CO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for the wonderful interview! And if you are in CO, you had better drink wine with me!

      Delete
  2. Susan! You've never had meatloaf, like, EVER?!? This is a travesty! Can I just mention that my meatloaf is a wondrous trifecta of premium beef, pork *and* veal AND it's swaddled in bacon?? Just let that sink in. Come over because now I must remedy this. Great interview, J-Kok! You're invited for meatloaf, too btw. I think that goes without saying...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll eat your meatloaf anytime, Rach.
      That sounded dirty.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to pretend that I didn't read the meatloaf part. I.love.meatloaf.
    I can always count on a belly laugh from Susan! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang. I think she looks pretty rockin in the laundry-room prom dress. I have thought about a similar pick in my 14 year old wedding gown! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan is hilarious and one heck of a nice lady to boot. She's also almost convinced me I need some pajama jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan! I want to judge you for never eating meatloaf, but I've never done laundry in a prom dress, so who am I to cast stones? I have vacuumed in my bridal veil, though.

    As always, great interview, Johi.

    ReplyDelete