Monday, September 16, 2013

Great. Now My Kid Wants to be a Hobo.

I'm constantly racking my brain for meal ideas that are quick, easy, and healthy. Also, it would be nice to cook food that my kids will actually EAT.

Thing 1 is pretty adventurous with food; he eats a sometimes shocking variety of foods and will always at least try a bite of something new. Thing 2, on the other hand, is on a strict regimen of Popsicles and ketchup.

Remembering years ago when we did something people call 'vacationing', I decided to implement a new meal to our rotating menu. I grabbed some meat, cabbage, and a new box of aluminum foil from the grocery store and set out to prepare four 'Hobo Dinners' for my family.

I chopped some root vegetables and cabbage, drizzled them in olive oil, threw a hunk of turkey sausage on the top, seasoned it all with salt and pepper, and wrapped it in foil. Upon returning from throwing them on the grill, Thing 1 asked me, "What are we having for dinner?"

I responded, "Hobo dinners."

He asked, "What's a hobo?"

I envisioned a picture of a man with his belongings tied up in a red bandanna attached to a stick. I said, "A hobo is a person that carries all their belongings on their back. They walk around during the day and cook over a fire at night. Sometimes they hang out in gypsy camps."

He said, "That sounds like fun! I want to be a hobo!"

I paused, then realized what I had done. "No," I replied, "it's not fun. It's lonely and dangerous. They don't have a home. Most of the time they sleep on railroad tracks and smell like urine."

Thing 1 looked at me with his mouth open.

Then I continued, "You don't want to be a hobo. I promise you. But these hobo dinners will be delicious!"

Then we ate our meals out of foil packets and I tried not to think of the smell of urine.

Later, when I asked Thing 1 remembered of my tale of hobos, he answered, "It's a man walking around outside and he cooks his food over the fire. I don't know. They're boring."

Crisis averted. Until Thing 2 piped up, "I want to be a hobo!"


HOW TO MAKE YOUR KIDS WANT TO BE HOBOS:

Hobo Dinners

(Recipe for two adults, one hobo hopeful, and one Popsicle-loving gerbil)

1 pound of meat (ham, sausage, burger or whatever you like)
1/2 head of green cabbage, chopped
1 onion, chopped
4-8 carrots, chopped
4 small potatoes, chopped
4 white or golden beets, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
green beans- however many are in your garden
olive oil
salt 
pepper

Preheat grill to medium or light fire in trashcan. Cut four pieces of foil, lay on counter or old tire. Chops your veggies on a cutting board or a slab of rusty metal. Divide veggies into fourths and place on foil. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place meat on top of veggies. Cover each with another piece of foil, folded to make a packet. Place on indirect heat (top rack of grill) and cook for 45 minutes.

Getting ready for some HEAT.

45 minutes over some fire and Voila! Hobo dinner! 


Wash your filthy, disgusting hands and enjoy. You are now a hobo.

No plates, pots or pans were dirtied in the making or eating of this meal. I bought turkey sausage for $2.97 and a head of cabbage for $2.00. The rest of the food I had on hand. Cheap and easy!

Peace, Love, and Hobos,
Johi










1 comment:

  1. This made me laught out loud, as your posts so often do! Also, I'm definitely adding this one to my menu plan - yum!!

    ReplyDelete