Monday, August 19, 2013

My Beautiful Life

Thank you, God, for my beautiful life.

Each night, these words flow through my mind. With my head nestled into the downy soft pillow beneath it, I breathe deeply into my lungs and exhale the weight of the day. Forcing away the tiresome, the irksome and the downright loathsome, I return to my home- my loves, my friends, my family, myself. Reminders of laughter and food, snuggles and kisses, with tousled hair and silly smiles warm my heart. Thoughts of sunsets and walks, with wind at my back and warm light on my skin, wash over me like a gentle tide and I give thanks.


Thank you, God, for my beautiful life.

Flannel pajamas whisper comfort on my flesh as the bare floor slaps softly under my growing feet. Youth invades my senses like the heavenly waft from the knotty pine kitchen. Mornings of smiles and easy talks... of hearty farm eggs and bacon... all held together with the scent of brewed coffee, weave through the corners of my memories. Warm sun through the glass offers shiny reflections glinting off the still water that sparkle like diamonds. Horses dotting the hillside beyond, beckoning adventure, while the stone fireplace popped hot sparks with a sudden yet comforting crack.

Thank you, God, for my beautiful life.

Surrounded by loving arms and connected laughter, the smiles of familiar faces and kind eyes decorate my view like a favorite meadow. While music plays in the background, like a soundtrack of our time, the real story unfolds all around. Even with constant changes, from viewpoints to physical growth, the support is unending, coming from a seemingly magical well of love. Wafts of sweet treats and savory bites mingle with warmed flesh gently dabbed in perfume. Jingling bracelets mixed with soaring hoots of glee, blend with the tinny roar and hiss of victory and loss, which all combine in a warm glow of deep affection and unshakable comfort.

Thank you, God, for my beautiful life.

Feeling the heat of the quivering beast's flesh under a smooth coat of hair, I bow my head into the welcome blast of cool air. Auburn and crimson leaves dot out the golden rays, creating a shimmering, liquid dance of light and shade as the heat slowly dies away. The thunderous roar of the hooves on the grassy embankment cuts through the still of the forest like a war drum. Ultimately connected and utterly free, we race together until ragged breath is exhaled. With burning lungs and soaring souls, we collect ourselves and return.

Thank you, God, for my beautiful life.

The pounding of my heart and the burning of my legs escapes me when the summit is crested, where 360 degree splendor abounds and distant horizon fades, yet never truly ends. Thin air whips icy tendrils at exposed flesh, but the internal heat explodes with triumph and awe-inspiring beauty. Worth every haggard step and struggle, the destination was beyond imagination, and the self doubt hurls itself over the rocky ledge so that internal strength can fill that sought after space.

Thank you, God, for my beautiful life.

Stories are shared over cheap pitchers of pale beer and delicious hot globs of fried dough. Tough courses are navigated hand in hand, with growing self-knowledge leading the expedition. Hysterical, gut cramping, cheek hardening laughter are infinite, and a new kind of loving support flourishes like a tree planted in perfect black soil. Hot coffee steams up the cool morning air as dreams are told and held onto with tender hands and unspoiled hearts. Lasting bonds are tethered by mutual admiration, love and high regard.

Thank you, God, for my beautiful life.

Stomach butterflies and a racing pulse are caused by a simple touch. This path becomes viable, with aid from the easy laughter and instant comfort. Scratchy stubble nuzzles my neck, as strong hands explore my back and I feel safe. I allow myself to feel worthy again. The moments are multiplying, the interests line up and the humor is like super glue. Undeniable attraction, admirable work ethic and again, the seemingly magical well of endless love. Like yin and yang, dressed in white and black, "I do"- and from there on we take every moment possible to make a wonderful life together, yet continue to grow as strong individuals. I am blessed.

Thank you. God, for my beautiful life.

From the very first flutter in the womb to the full body scaling bear hug, the world lit up with those cherubic blue eyed faces. Full of mischievous innocence and precious naivety, two little mops of blonde brought back our own youth, just as they stole some of it. Viewing life through young eyes is not a gift to be squandered, nor is their love. The circle feels complete, the blessings abound and my heart is full. Roots are being planted, in hopes of building strong wings. Love and hope replace judgement and fear. Nothing is greater than this. Nothing.

Thank you, God, for my beautiful life.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, Johi- that was beautiful. I often look at your pictures and think what a magical place and a magical life you are living there! I knew you saw it, too, but not how much you saw. Thanks for sharing that. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. What a beautiful prayer of thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to reach out and touch this. You painted a gorgeous picture. Thank you for sharing your blessed life with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so heartwarming - you make me feel grateful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just mentally hugged you... And maybe grabbed your ass a bit.

    But in a total non-creepy way.

    Hugs!

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete