Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sunday Sharing: Tunes and Toots.

Music and food.

Seriously, does it get much better?

I made some delicious veggie chili the other evening. Nothing says "Hey honey, are you ready for some sexy time?" like a piping hot bowl of beans. Am I right?

This is a quick recipe. From start to finish it took about 35 minutes. You could also throw everything into a crock pot and cook an low for  about 5-6 hours (until veggies are tender).



Johi's Veggie Chili

2 T olive oil
1 large onion (chopped)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
1/2 c. red/orange or yellow pepper (chopped)
1/2 c. green pepper (chopped)
2 stalks of celery (chopped)
1 can corn (drained)
1 can chili beans (with juice)
1 can red kidney beans (drained)
1 can black beans (drained)
1 can diced tomatoes (with juice)
1 T vegetable bouillon
salt and pepper to taste
2 T chili powder
1 T crushed hot pepper
1 T sugar

In a stock pot on med/high, add 2 T. olive oil. When hot, add onions, peppers, celery and garlic. Cook while stirring until tender~ 5 minutes. Turn down heat to Med- Med/Low (I use 3-4 on my electric stove top). Add canned ingredients and stir until combined. Stir in bouillon (I use the paste). Add spices to taste.

This was a thick, hearty chili. I you prefer a more brothy texture, add a cup of V-8 or tomato juice.

 Serve with cornbread or tortilla chips and a sprinkle of cheese.




Although I love music, I don't listen to it as much as I should. And I SHOULD listen to more, because like dark chocolate, Tina Fey and well made boots, music makes me happy. Everyone knows that happy people are friendly people. Then we smile instead of scowling, which is good for other people. Then other people are happy and they skip through fields and hug dolphins and stuff. And all the princesses kiss toads and live happily ever after with their pet toads and tiaras and Jimmy Choos. The End.

The point here is that I need some new shoes.

Oh, and I want to share with you some music that makes me happy.

ZZ Ward rocks this song. She rocks it hard. Plus, this chick has STYLE. Loving her singing "Put the Gun Down".



This is a Denver band that I heard on 93.3 (great local station). Churchill is their name and being awesome is their game. May I present their song "Change":



And I will wrap it up with The Lumineers because I heart The Lumineers (one of the members is from Fort Collins, you know). This song, "Stubborn Love", melts my heart and makes me want to play a tambourine while singing harmony.


That's a wrap!

Peace, Love and Happiness,
Johi

8 comments:

  1. That looks good! I'm always on the hunt for new crock pot recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was rather yummy! I love using my crock pot, too. So much easier than trying to prepare dinner at 4 pm, otherwise known as "Satan's Hour" around here.

      Delete
  2. I'm making it right now!!! Holy hell lady you like it spicy. Blake & I are more mild to medium folk. ill let you know how it goes.
    I'd really like to make corn bread one day. I've never had it. Feel free to hook me up with the recipe for that too please & thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll post my corncake recipe. It will stop your heart but sometimes you just need some corncake.
      I hope the chili turned out!

      Delete
  3. Ha! Sounds like a good recipe to use when I want a happy hubby and don't want to have sex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check! It's a better excuse than "Not tonight, I have a headache."

      Delete
  4. The other day, I saw a squad of dolphins frolicking in the bay across from my apartment. I am a very happy person, so, naturally, I very much wanted to hug them. I was like, "DOLPHINS! HEY! DOLPHINS! OVER HERE! WHO WANTS A HUG?" Except, obviously, I said it in dolphin, so it sounded like, "EEE! EE-EEE! EEEP! EDEET BOOP DEET?" (Then I alternated pointing to the herd and holding my arms out for an embrace, mostly for the benefit of the other joggers, who appeared not to speak dolphin.)

    Can you believe those blowholes looked at me with baffled concern then swam quickly away? I mean, seriously, what is the point of learning to speak dolphin if I can't use this knowledge to get hugs!? I guess what I'm asking is, are all dolphins this judgmental? Have you had more success hugging sea mammals while dangling your upper torso over a public pier? Am I just not happy enough?

    Please get back to me on this ASAP, as I'll be struggling with crippling insecurity until you do. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man! Where did you learn to speak dolphin??? Is that a Rosetta Stone thing? So jealous.

      Anyway, the dolphins that I know are totally judgemental, but they like jokes and watching people fall down. Try to charm them with a knock knock joke, then stage a dramatic trip and fall.

      They also will let you hug them if you feed them tiny fish from your mouth.

      You're welcome.

      Delete