Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A review and a recipe

Do you remember way back in August when I went to New York for BlogHer? Good, I'm glad someone can remember that far back.

Anyhoo, around that time I received a lovely package from Enjoy Life foods to consume and review. While my family did not fail to devour the food, I failed to create the post in which I reviewed said food. Well here I am today, four months later, ready to tell you all about the chocolaty wonderful Enjoy Life food that we slammed into our pie holes.

In other news, my children are miraculously both napping right now which means that it is quiet and I can hear myself think. What I realize is that I'm thinking thoughts that shouldn't be shared, so maybe the constant noise level from my children is a blessing for all on planet Earth. Namaste.

Where was I? Oh yes! My family and I taste tested two Enjoy Life products: Double Chocolate Crunch Granola and Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mega Chunks. As evidenced by the quickly emptied bags we all loved both of these products. (Chocolate! Duh!) I thought that the double chocolate crunch granola was especially delicious on my favorite black cherry Greek yogurt and the children enjoyed it cereal style, in a bowl with coconut milk. I barely got to eat any of the allergen friendly Chocolate Chunks from the original bag, as Brock found the bag and devoured them all. Brock has no food allergies. Good for Brock.

The great thing about these Enjoy Life  products, other than the delicious taste, is that the cereal is nut and gluten free and the chocolate is nut, soy and dairy free. In essence, even us high maintenance eaters can have delectable food and treats! Winning!

In moving forward with my Dolly Domestic, overachiever ways  *cough* I experimented with yet another of my favorite recipes and made it gluten free. It was a triumph! * high kick*

Ouch.

Let me start by saying that I love quick bread. And when I say love, I mean LUV love love. A friend of mine had given me her pumpkin bread recipe which I adored. And when I say adored, I mean I devoured it like a teenage boy that had been stranded in a snow bank eating ice chips and tree bark for four days. Well, pumpkin happened to be on sale at the store the other day and I felt an unusual surge of inspiration. What happened was a little baking...and successful baking at that. So if you are wondering what to make for that normal-food-intolerant holiday guest, let me present to you this fabulous recipe for gluten and dairy free pumpkin bread.

I would love to show you a picture, but we ate it all. Sorry.

Johi's Gluten free pumpkin bread

2 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill all purpose flour.
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
4 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 small cans of pumpkin
1 1/2 cups of Enjoy Life mega chocolate chunks

In a large bowl combine flour, flaxseed, xanthan gum, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. In another bowl beat eggs, sugar, pumpkin and oil. Add to dry ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in chocolate chunks.

(I added a little shredded coconut and some pecans to one of the loaves and it was quite tasty)

Bake in 3 greased two pound loaf pans at 350 degrees for 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes.

Eat and enjoy the lack of hives, skin rashes and digestion problems.

Alert: Two Giveaways before the end of the week! Two unexpected and completely unrelated items! Be afraid!

Peace, Love and Chocolate,
Johi

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious and I love pumpkin anything!!!!!! Love the tree bark comment. Ever had tree bark with saltines?

    ReplyDelete