Tuesday, November 6, 2012

What's been up with this buttercup.

You may or may not have noticed my lack of presence in the blogosphere as of late. It is not because of any lost love for any of you, I promise. I have excuses! Lots of 'em!

1. Halloween.

Thing 1 is OBSESSED with Halloween. He not only forced me to decorate the house in the middle of September, he also dressed up in different costumes almost daily until Halloween, thus requiring me to follow him around and take pictures of the utter cuteness. This year, he has been an astronaut, a pilot, a pirate, a farmer, a Native American and a vampire (traditional, no sparkles). He also coerced his father to (gleefully) construct a scary pumpkin head scarecrow; which involved a chainsaw, no safety glasses, me cringing and me carving a pumpkin face. We now need to pack up all the orange and black, say goodbye to the scary pumpkin head man and talk some turkey... pilgrim.



2. Nuts.

Thanks to the kids' Halloween candy, I have been slowly reintroducing myself to nuts one Snickers at a time. It's been working out pretty well. I have done such a thorough job that I polished off an entire piece of English Toffee with no throat swelling. That takes some real focus and dedication, people. Wish me luck with my next encounter- a full bar of Almond Joy.

3. Exhaustion.

I'm so freaking tired it is not normal. I'm pretty sure that I'm dying of bird flu. Or maybe I'm just reserving energy in preparation for the zombie Apocalypse or the Mayan end of the world. Or maybe it is because the Things have basically stopped napping and I have NO TIME ALONE. EVER. Whatever the cause, I desire more time to sleep. And time to bathe without someone entering the bathroom. And time to actually chew my food before swallowing.

4. Art Studio.

Brock and I fixed up my "art studio". It is in the spare room.  Now I can make my house guests pose nude so that I can brush up on figure drawings! I'm assuming that won't make anyone uncomfortable. And hey, I just got a bunch of toothbrushes from my dentist, so you don't even need to pack one! Who wants to come and visit?


5. OMG PONIES!!!!

The ponies are back and the boys and I are busy scooping poop, talking to them in excited, high pitched voices and riding (they ride, I walk alongside). The Things are turning into quite the little horsemen. We even did some trotting the other day. There was much giggling. It's basically too much adorableness to handle.


This is just what we do on a Tuesday evening around these parts...

6. Laundry.

Doi.

7. Husband Training 101.

In the past week, my main squeeze has been documented folding laundry, vacuuming and cleaning out the refrigerator. I'm not sure what I have done to deserve this or if Brock has been abducted and replaced by an alien, but either way, I'll take it!

8. Dusting off my Crock Pot.

The leaves are mostly gone, the air is growing cooler and I have too many good shows clogging up my DVR to be standing in the kitchen, cooking. (Hello- Nashville!!!! Where have you been all my life?) Once again, I have rekindled my love affair with my Crock Pot. Like the other night, when I made a stew in the crock pot. A kind of pot roast stew. A Crock Potty Roast Stew, if you will. If that sounds appetizing to you, let me know and I will post my recipe.

9. Geek Love.

I read this book by Katherine Dunn and let me just say "Me oh my!". It was very well written and deeply disturbing. One thousand Disney movies cannot erase the images Ms. Dunn's words have imprinted onto my brain. Read it, but don't say I didn't warn you.

10. Avoiding political calls.

Pretty much any call to my home phone have been telemarketers or political calls. (Yes, we still have a home phone. No, it is not a rotary one.) Aside from getting a personal call from Clint Eastwood, no one that I know even calls that phone. No one except my husband's sweet 84 year old mother. I was working in my studio the other night and I hear this message. "Hello Brock and Johi! It's your mother! I've been trying to call for three days! Call me! Call me collect if you can't afford it!" Like a good wife, I hunted down Brock and forced him to call her immediately.

11. Spamming facebook with Instagram photos.

Because I can, and I want to. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it! Or "unfriend" me. Whatever works better for your schedule.

12. OMG, I finished something!!!! You guys, I actually finished something!!!

Well, I still need to do one more picture....but.... I was hired to illustrate a children's book! I did it in a little over two weeks and as soon as it is published, I will tell you all about it. Stay tuned! I'm pretty excited!!!

That's about it for me. Well, there used a lot more, but I have forgotten most of it.
Cheers!


Happy Election Day~ May the best man win and the political ads go to hell.

Johi


12 comments:

  1. Oh girlfriend, I am feeling this list!! I haven't blogged in about eleventy billion years. It's on my to do list when I'm not lady balls deep in other 'stuff to do'. It's totally my little jewellery business fault. It's raping my time repeatedly. And I really like it.
    Loves! Bx
    P.S The Halloween pictures, omg I want to steal those adorable boys of yours!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your jewels! So pretty! But come back and write because I really really need the kind of laugh that only you can deliver!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I know! right?? I'm so excited for the book to come out!!!

      Delete
  3. Also, if those cute kids came with, I might be persuaded to get some ponies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we could work out some kind of weekend trade....

      Delete
  4. My crockpot goes all year. If it were to malfunction, I would run out to replace it immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take a break from it in the summer and do more grilling and salads and... cereal.

      Delete
  5. Love the ponies (and as cute as the kids on the ponies are) I would elect to take the ponies without the kids...I'm about 9 months away from being an empty nesters so I'm pretty much done with that. Congrats on the illistration project that is great news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until you have GRANDKIDS!!! BAHAHAHAHA! Then you will totally have to get some ponies. Because tots and ponies go together like peas and carrots.

      Delete
  6. I try to do the same thing as Thing 1 in October, but my husband won't humor me. You're an awesome mom... Maybe you'll be my mom next October. And I mean that in a total non-creepy way.

    Hugs!

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the children's book!! Can't wait to see it!

    I read Geek Love years ago. I could never figure out if it was supposed to be tragic or funny. It was a total circus.

    ReplyDelete