Wednesday, November 16, 2011

No funny today.

As I type this, my children finally stopped screaming...er playing... and are napping, I am awaiting 4:00 so that I can take myself to the doctor because I have been achy and hacking up tiny submarines for a week, my house is thrashed- complete with broken glass on the floor because a picture fell and broke, and my uncle is being transferred to another hospital so that he can undergo the surgical insertion of an LVAD (left ventricular assist device) as the result of two massive heart attacks that happened less than 48 hours ago when he was assisting his son with coaching a junior high girls basketball game.

I'd love to tell you about how I've been spending my time pondering the wonders of my little world, things like: what book should I read next and should I cut bangs again and what should I make for dinner and how do I get Thing 1 to recognize Thanksgiving as an actual holiday on its own and not just something that we have to endure until Christmas arrives? But the thing is, I can't. I can't find the funny because my heart is too heavy with worry for my uncle and his fight for his life. My soul weeps for his wife, my sweet and wonderful aunt, as she waits and watches, powerless and afraid. My strength fails me as I think about my three strong, independent cousins who are seeing their intense, tough as nails dad struggle to survive. I can't be funny today, and I can't whine about my own life because it is mine and I am free to live it at the moment. Not in a hospital, not in a state of chemical paralysis, not in a confused fog caused by a major trauma, but any way I please. And I am truly thankful for that.

Please send your prayers, good vibes, positive and healing thoughts to my uncle and his family. He is a pillar of his community, and devoted husband, father, grandfather, brother, son, uncle, cousin and coach. He is loved by many, especially his family. Let his life be long so that love can continue to grow and flourish.

Life is precious. Treasure it.

I love you all.

Peace and Love,
Johi

13 comments:

  1. Lord, our Father, I send my prayers to you for Johi's family. Touch them with your love and care and please comfort them. Give them the strength to endure and the strength to heal. Bless them as you bless all my internet friends and families. In Jesus name Amen.

    I feel it means so much to type my prayer for you then to just say I am doing so. Bless you.

    Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you ~ 1 Peter 5:7

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen, johi. may god tend to your uncle and his family now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not much on prayer, but sending massive good juju his (and your) way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your Uncle! Lots of positive thoughts and white light to your family. Take care all of you <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending all my best thoughts and vibes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a nurse in an OR here in the midwest that inserts LVAD's on a regular basis - these doctors, while difficult to work with at times, are absolutely brilliant at what they do. I'm not sure what hospital your uncle is transferring to, but it sounds like he will be in good hands. And people do recover to go on and live their life - my prayers are with your family...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't blame you and my prayers are with your family. However, I think that awareness of our own mortality and the mortality of our loved ones is why we have laugh at things and is at the root of all humor. That being said I hope he pulls through. Also, nice to meet you I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Johi. You brought tears to my eyes. It is obvious the love you feel for your uncle and heartbreaking the powerlessness and fear that you are feeling now, along with his wife and kids. My thoughts are definitely with you and your family as you struggle through this incredibly difficult time. I hope he pulls through and lives a long and happy life.

    This may have also affected me so, since my mother in law is returning to our home today after 4 months in and out of the hospital/rehabs, and she is coming home for hospice care. This scares me so much for my kids to be there when this happens and I am a big ball of nerves and sadness right now as well. Sorry, I was not planning on sharing that and making it about me, but just wanted to let you know that I know how you are feeling, at least a bit, and you are in my heart.

    Stay strong, girl. Good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry Johi, hugs and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your kind words, positive thoughts and prayers. He had an extensive surgery last night and they are monitoring him closely. There was a lot of damage to his heart. We are all waiting with hopes that he can pull through and have a good quality of life.
    Again, many thanks to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending love and light your way. I am so deeply sorry to hear your family is going through this. ((HUGS!))

    ReplyDelete