Wednesday, June 15, 2011

RECIPE!!! Yes, I still cook!

Barbecue season is upon us! *jumps for joy!*


BYOB
"Bring your own baby to hold your beer"


I apologize for being inadequate with my recipe posting. I have about ten recipes that I am ready to share with you but I keep posting about my flowers. Whoops.
We went to a BBQ at a friend's house last Saturday and I made this little treat. Thanks for the recipe Mom!



(I did some modifications and will post the original recipe below)

Going to a Party!Cold Veggie Salad

1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1 can drained and rinsed black beans (I think Chick Peas would be great too)
1 cup chopped onion
1 chopped red pepper

Mix gently into bowl

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar

Mix and heat on low while stirring until dissolved. Pour over veggie mixture.
Chill and serve.

Vegan-friendly; dairy, egg, nut, soy and gluten free! Great with corn chips or just as a veggie side dish.

I actually think you could add the chick peas to the recipe, in addition to the black beans. There was plenty of liquid left over.

My mom's original recipe called for:
1 can drained corn
1 can drained peas
1 can drained french green beans
1 cup chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper
1 jar of drained pimentos

1/2 c sugar
1/2 c oil
1/2 c vinegar
~heated and poured over veggie mixture
~serve chilled

Either way you make it, it is delicious!

What's that? You wanted to see what is blooming this week?
Twist my arm....



The peonies get my award for "Flower of the Week!"
Their fragrant and showy blooms get center stage in my
kitchen, right next to a stack of bills, a broken toy and receipts
from my wallet.....

Dianthus (I think!)


Pretty in Pink Carnations!
Carnations are one of my favorites, as long as people
aren't trying to disguise them as roses!



I don't know what this bush is, but the blooms are precious.

Hollyhock buds!

Crab crawl! Hahaha!


Happy Summer!
 Peace, Love and Unicorns,
Johi

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hollyhocks are starting to bloom too! I'm so excited. I'm such a flower nerd. One more reason why I wish we lived closer together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I don't know why that comment posted three times. Overexcited?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! I get excited about flowers and crab crawling, beer holding babies too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That salad looks delicious and my favorite flowers are Peonies! Had them in my wedding bouquet. Very pretty pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My stepmom makes that salad but she calls it "cowboy Caviar" yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SHUT! UP!! I seriously JUST had this the other day! We had impromptu wine night and one of the ladies brought this and I was all, "uh... what IS this?" but I tried it anyway and LOVED IT! She called it Texas Caviar and it was delicious!!

    ReplyDelete