Friday, June 24, 2011

Happiness is a Berry Good Salad (and some other stuff)

I'm happy. Not in an annoying way like Richard Simmons or that guy from the Bachelorette, but happy enough to make me wish it was always summer. What a fantastic week! I love summer so so much!


We got a new flag for $5.
 The stars must be aligned because it was one of those weeks that was both fun AND productive. Score! (Looking over my head for broken power lines or lightening.)

The weather was wonderful. It ranged from 60's and drizzling (I walked the pooches in this, it was refreshing) to 80's and sunny (the Things and I went swimming!). The nights have been gorgeous too.

My red rosebushes are blooming all over the property.

Tiny little carrots, broccoli, radishes and more are poking their bits of greens out of the soil to say hello. Oh hi there!

We all ate a giant salad picked from our garden last night. Nom nom.

I instructed a herd of children in some pumpkin planting. They still like me. Who knew? I'm like a freaking child whisperer.

Fresh air and sunshine seem to be working miracles around here. Smelly Cat looks healthy. The kids have been sleeping well, and so have I (probably the main reason for all this unusual glee).


"I hope this tiny sailor isn't planning on TOUCHING me...."
The dogs have cut back on their car chasing.

My house could pass for clean (as long as you don't look too closely).

and! I am now an affiliate member of the blogher team. (I'm still not totally sure what this means because I get confused when reading contracts, but I feel excited!)

and! I got a PRIZE from the lovely Just Jinny at A Girl in the Real World! Because SHE IS AWESOME. She called me adorable... hahahahahaaha. I think she might be confusing me for my Things.


^Jinny gave me this here award^

Thanks Jinny~ You are the adorable one! Go forth and read her blog my friends. She is a radiant girl who sees life with such a refreshingly positive point of view. You can't help but smile when reading her blog.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. To help your taste buds in the enjoyment of this warm weather,
here is a recipe for one of my favorite summer meals, and the berries are in season (i.e. Affordable) right now.

Berry Good Salad
(serves 4)
4 chicken breasts or 8 chicken tenders, brushed with 1 part olive oil, 1 part balsamic vinegar
Grill them!
Bed of salad greens (spinach or spring greens are good choices)
1-2 cups of Fruit/Fresh Berries of choice- I like a mixture mandarin oranges, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries
1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup of feta or blue cheese crumbles
1/4 cup of candied walnuts or almond slices
Annie's Raspberry Vinaigrette or Poppyseed salad dressing

Gently toss greens, fruit, cheese and nuts together. Slice grilled chicken and lay on top. Drizzle with dressing. Enjoy!



Pre- chicken/cheese is a nice vegetarian/vegan option.

Impress your friends (and bad begging dogs) with
 your creative and masterful meal!
The kids will like this, too.

I see this in my menu for the weekend....
Peace, Love and Unicorns,
Johi

4 comments:

  1. congrats on your award! you ARE adorable in a sarcastic, manic, cuss-like-a-sailor sort of way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, I thought we agreed you were adorkable. AdorKable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and congrats, congrats, CONGRATS! you rock me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @tex- your comment made my day!
    @Cotton- We did decide that. And thank you!

    ReplyDelete