Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Past and Present

I hope that everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend. Easter is one of those celebrations that is not only difficult to explain to preschoolers (no honey, your kitty isn't coming back), but it stirs up a big pot of nostalgia for me.....

I think of Easter baskets at my grandparents' house, with all my younger cousins running around enthusiastically searching for the one with their name on it.

I think of family dinners at my other grandparents' house, complete with ham, deviled eggs, beer and games, lots of games: board games, card games, pool tournaments.....

I think of pretty dresses (on other people- I never remember getting a new Easter dress), the Catholic church I grew up attending and that overzealous family that always parked themselves in the very front pew (good thing they were there, the whole congregation followed their lead on the whole sit, stand, kneel business, if it wasn't for them we all would have been going up and down like preschoolers playing a rousing game of musical chairs). 

I think of new green grass, daffodils, tulips and flowering trees with delicate blooms.

I think of bunnies, of course. And birds; little chirpy ones.

I think of the 10 years that I was enslaved in worked in retail and was always scheduled to work Easter Sunday, which made me feel bristly and bitter. I wasn't even nice to customers on that day. Whoops. That was Christ-like of me, don't you think?

I think of spring and everything it means to me, which is in short, A GIANT RELIEF THAT WINTER IS FINALLY OVER.

Thanks to my new life as wife and mother, I now get to create these memories for my family (with the exception of the crappy job ones). I get to make the egg hunts, new outfits (no one got any), church, and family dinners happen for my kids and husband. That responsibility is such a blessing in my life.

I have lots of my typical crap planned for you all this week, complete with a new "Fashion with Thing 1" post and a series of posts on the redesign of my living room (wheeeeee!). Can you stand the excitement??  Stay tuned!

Peace, Love and Unicorns,
Johi

4 comments:

  1. nice post. great that it's your turn now to build the memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the spring newness that Easter brings, and i LOVE Easter dresses. When I see the ones for little girls in the stores I am always a bit sad that I am like 20 years too old for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. there better be a white couch involved. =)

    also, amen to the working as a retail slave thing. i worked in retail on and off from the time i was 17 till i was 3456 years old. oh, wait, not 3456 years old, i just felt like it on certain days, like Easter, the day after Thanksgiving and the day before and after Xmas. Oh, the joyful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks @texsisgirl!
    @Tova- I secretly want one too. I love dresses.
    @Elizabeth- It is light, but I'm not brave enough for white. My vocal chords couldn't take it. I hear you on the age thing- especially around the holidays. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete