Friday, April 15, 2011

Chicken Soup is good for more than just the soul, it is tasty too.

Yesterday, since we were all ghacky, I made my Grandma's chicken soup. Please read about her in this post. Make sure and click on the link provided by Don on the bottom and listen to her Sweet Adeline's Quartet. She sang bass and also the lead in that particular song. She was the bomb and I miss her every day.


I made it gluten free (surprise!).
It only takes around an hour from start to finish.

Chicken Noodle Soup

10 cups water (with chicken bouillon) or chicken broth
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 large white onion diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
4-5 stalks of celery chopped (about 1 cup), I use the leafy ones
6-8 large peeled and chopped carrots (about 2-3 cups)
2 cloves garlic, minced
sea salt
pepper
thyme (Optional)
Nature's Seasoning
Noodles (I used a quarter sized amount of spaghetti style- broken three times)


Bring broth, chicken breasts (whole) and lemon juice to a boil in a large pot. Cook on medium heat until breasts are done (about 20 minutes) and then remove and shred.
While broth/chicken is boiling, chop your vegetables and mince the garlic. Add to pot with shredded chicken breasts. Add spices. Bring to boil and simmer another 20 minutes, or until carrots are tender. Add small amount of noodles and cook according to package directions. Serve to your loved ones and everyone will soon feel better.

*Other options:
  • Saute mushrooms and zucchini in olive oil and add to soup.
  • Substitute rice or white beans for noodles.
Happy Friday!
Since it is supposed to be spring, I will leave you with this picture of a foal (last year's) from my parent's Quarter Horse program.

Oh hai.


Peace, Love and Unicorns,
Johi

4 comments:

  1. If you use bone-in breasts the soup will be even better for you, but you might need to skim the broth before adding the chicken & veggies back in. My Mom's version doesn't use lemon juice but does use cilantro. I typically add potatoes and/or dumplings instead of noodles, because I just love dumplings. I mix lots of sage and thyme in with the flour for the dumplings. I love chicken soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I really hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FINE i will add a foal to the list of animals I want on my baby animal farm. That foal is so cute!

    I'll have to make this soup sometime for David!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Francesca- I'll have to try the bone-in chicken!
    @Tova- Foals are cute!

    ReplyDelete