Monday, March 28, 2011

Cousins!!! and another Gluten Free Crock Pot Recipe.

I had a magical weekend. I visited. I relaxed. I had a date with my husband. I watched a movie. I drank a little vino. I painted my nails. I shopped (a sale rack). I exercised! Twice! I avoided getting anything accomplished. It was like I had an out-of-body experience. Now it is Monday and I am kicking myself for getting absolutely nothing done. My house is a wreck, the laundry has been breeding like rabbits and if I don't go shopping soon I will be diapering Thing 2 in my husband's t-shirts.

Most of the reason that my weekend was so wonderful is because I got to visit with family. You see, I am one of those fortunate people who absolutely adores my extended family, so any chance to spend time with them is warmly embraced. Once upon a time (over the weekend) there were three fabulous cousins who went out on the town. We ate. We drank yummy stuff. We went window shopping in Old Town Fort Collins. We even each picked up a little something special at Kansas City Kitty, one of my favorite shops in town. We browsed other shops where we tried on hats, admired all the young ladies trying on their (flashback to the late eighties!!!) sequined prom dresses, and absorbed some always welcome and much needed Colorado sunshine and fresh air. It was refreshing in every way. The End.

And now it is Monday, I am back to reality and I need to do all the crap that I denied the existence of for the past few days. *sigh*

Wait! I'm having a flashback!


The cousins enjoying a leisurely lunch in Old Town.


How cute are they???

Look! More hats!
 In other news:
While I was eating my lunch yesterday (3/4 of a can of black olives and 2 pieces of dark chocolate.... what?), I was multi-tasking by throwing dinner in my beloved crock pot. I used chicken, in honor of Easter chicks.

I know... bad humor. I'm still on my first cup of coffee.
The following crock pot recipe is what I created = my favorite dish to date. I'm writing it down so that I don't forget, because this girl has some major memory issues. Good thing I have a belt buckle with my name on it because I would probably forget that.... hey, where is that belt buckle?

Let's call it...

Johi's Black & White Chicken Chili

3 frozen (or thawed) chicken breasts (toss 'em in whole)
1 small white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 c. diced red pepper (green would be great, but I had red)
3/4 c. frozen corn
4 oz. can of diced green chilies
20 oz can of diced tomatoes
32 oz. of chicken broth
1 can black beans (drained)
1 can great northern beans (drained)
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
2 Tablespoons sugar

1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice- optional

Toss everything together in crock pot. Turn crock pot on low and cook at least 6 hours. Once chicken is cooked, remove and shred, then add back to soup.
Add rice about one hour before serving. (You could leave out the rice for a more brothy soup, but I had some left over in my fridge and really liked the addition.)



OMG, this is so freaking good.

Serve with tortilla chips, shredded jack cheese and beer. Or in my case, deliver to cousin who is visiting from San Francisco (and is staying with other cousin, because Smelly Cat makes her itchy), drink tea and talk about living with intention- which we both highly recommend. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Johi

8 comments:

  1. I will have to try that, looks yummy. I will leave out the beans though, not my thing. Sounds like you had a great weekend, I miss my shopping buddy who now lives in Tennessee.

    I played poker w/ Husband and the father's to support the football booster club in a VFW club, cough, cough, hack...'Thought this was the no smoking room??'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you allergic to gluten? Because I'm allergic to gluten. And if you are, you're officially my favorite person of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tina- I can hang with the boys, but I can't do the smoke. Ugh!
    @Sluice- Yes, I don't have Celiac's but I do get hives all over and a variety of lovely stomach/plumbing issues. Both kids are sensitive too. We deal fine, but it is sad because I really really like to bake. The gf stuff is so expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, swear i'm not trying to hit on you...but you're pretty!

    looks like you guys had a great time. i rarely hear/read of people enjoying their family and reveling in the time they spend together, so consider yourself a lucky girl....

    yeah, monday, blah, but you know what....it was totally worth it to veg out for the weekend, wasn't it?=)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey @Elizabeth- as long as you are complimenting me I don't care what your intentions are. :)
    Yesterday's catch up game was totally worth the relaxation of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you. And your cooking. To say I "made" your recipe today would be a boldfaced lie since pretty much the only ingredient my meal and yours share is chicken. BUT you inspired me to try something new in my crock pot.
    So here it is....it was friggin yummy! So THANK YOU for this post!!

    3 frozen chicken breasts(don't have to be boneless)
    2-14 1/2 ounce cans chicken broth
    1 can tomato paste
    2 cloves garlic crushed plus a dusting of garlic powder to bring out the flavor
    1 small onion chopped
    1 can red or black beans rinsed and drained
    1 can sweet corn, drained
    2-3 T chili powder
    dash crushed red pepper
    1/2 t kosher salt
    1/2 t black pepper

    Throw it all in the crock pot on High in the late morning(mine gets really hot so I turned it to low around 3pm just so it wasn't boiling) and serve with shredded sharp cheddar and tortilla chips! YUMMY


    All THREE of my kids just devoured this!

    ReplyDelete