Friday, January 14, 2011

Listlessly Listing Lists

There is an Oscar Wilde quote that I love.

"It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious."



Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan, 1892, Act I

We all have things that we love, and adversely, things that don't really do much to inspire us. 
As I was driving behind a person who sped through a roundabout (when it was my turn to enter) and then chose to drive 5 mph under the speed limit on the main road, I started thinking about plowing them over with my truck.  Then I started thinking about "things" that annoyed me (not my Things, just things in general).  I tried to turn it into a positive by thinking about the paradox of my irritation.  I came up with a list of things that I love.  I am a lover of things- don't let this blog fool you. For the sake of symmetry, (because we need to know both the darkness and the light to truly appreciate life's gifts) I also created a list of loathing.  Spread a little Nutella of some toast and enjoy!

Things that I find to be Charming:
  1. A random smile from a stranger, or one from a loved one (even better!)
  2. Witnessing someone doing a small act of kindness (holding the door, letting the person with two items go first at the grocery store, bringing your spouse their morning cup of coffee...)
  3. The eternal optimist (yes, they irritate me, but in a "roll my eyes while smiling" way)
  4. Living your life with purpose and intention
  5. Most movies that fall into the Romantic Comedy genre (they release endorphins, guys- take your gal to see one)
  6. Baby animals and baby humans 
  7. An elderly couple that is holding hands while out on their walk
  8. Having your man's hand on the small of your back when you enter a gathering
  9. All things that bloom
  10. Autumn
  11. "Whore frost" on the trees
  12. Babbling brooks and quiet lakes
  13. Good design
  14. Hand written thank you notes
  15. Black and white photographs




Things that I find to be Tedious:
  1. Not yielding when entering a roundabout
  2. Grit on hardwood/tile under my bare feet (same effect as nails on a chalk board)
  3. Brown, crusty snow
  4. Whining
  5. Black Dog barking/licking/busting through the door and sleeping on my bed when I leave the house
  6. Driving in rush hour
  7. Repeating myself, especially after I have just repeated myself.....
  8. Passive Aggressive behavior 
  9. God-complexes...  I watched Drumline where the reference "GG" was made (God's Gift).  Go forth and use it.
  10. Baby snakes (shudder)
  11. The excessive volume of commercials
  12. Cleaning the shower, the refrigerator vent or the ceiling fan
  13. Meanness, especially when it comes from me
  14. Bills, debt, and bills
  15. Insomnia
 
 
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
Oscar Wilde Irish dramatist, novelist, & poet (1854 - 1900)
I promise you- I will find some of my "funny" again soon.  I think I left it in the pocket of one of my jackets... Please don't kill me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment