Monday, January 10, 2011

At the moment, my life seems to consist mainly of snot (and laundry of course).

My family has been blessed with approximately 18 colds this season.  Okay, not quite that many, but with Thing 1 in preschool and Thing 2 no longer nursing, our house has become phlegm central.  My husband has escaped every single illness, icluding the stomach flu, but I have had the good fortune of experiencing every single virus with my children. Maybe it is because I am trapped in the house the one that is here taking care of them. This constant stream of sickness is really unfortunate for two reasons: 1) sick, snotty coughing, little ones are sad...and whiny 2) being a sick, snotty, coughing mom that has to take care of two sick little ones is pure torture.  PLUS, as an added bonus, snot used to be at the top of the list of Things I Fear.  Snot, clowns, snakes, yard birds and Michael Bolton..... obviously.

Now, all mothers know that having a fear of snot will not serve you well in the realm of parenting. A parent's life is filled with occasions where you are not only dabbing at your tiny Thing's runny nose, but you are actually wearing their mucus on multiple parts of your own body. I guess there definitely is something to be said about "confronting your fears".  I have been literally wearing crusted snot on my clothing and skin, off and on for the last 3 months now, and I must say, I am becoming desensitized to the shudder effect it once caused.  (I also held a chicken last fall and it failed to peck out my eyes, so now I only fear geese, and possibly full grown guinea hens~ my friend tells me that they look like little buzzards....)

I am hoping that today is the "peak" of my own version of this cold that we are all experiencing, so that I can function  better tomorrow. It is not even 9 a.m. and I am looking forward to the time tonight that I can crawl back into my bed, pull the covers over my head and spend another night in a NyQuil induced coma while breathing through my mouth.  It is good to have goals... don't you think?  In the meantime, I will struggle through the day; dabbing, wiping, blowing, scraping, cringing, gagging and washing my hands.  Maybe instead of washing the soon to be mucus encrusted clothing at the end of the day, I will just pile up the dirty laundry in the fire pit and light a match. Then we can all warm our hands in the backyard tonight, where it is supposed to hit a low of -9 degrees. It certainly is Monday, isn't it?

If someone wants to make me this soup and deliver it to me,(along with a year's supply of Puffs with Lotion) I will sing you praises and bathe your feet in oil and water.  Okay, not really the last part....

3 comments:

  1. Ah man! We have had mutant germs for weeks and I've been singing the same story! It is no fun taking care of the sickies when mama feels like hell too! So sorry!! Wish I WAS close enough to bring you soup and tissues!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. Snot. We've had it around here too. It has gummed up my computer keys, dried on my pants and been wiped on the couch. It seems like I'm forever following someone around with a box of Kleenex.

    ReplyDelete