Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I May Have Officially Experienced a Redneck Christmas.

This morning, when I awoke and was struggling to get out of bed, I was greeted by Thing 1, who was hovering in my bedroom with the question, "Mommy, are you sick?"

I answered, "No sweetie, this is just what mommy looks like in the morning."

Even with that dose of reality regarding my appearance, I managed to have a great day. We had Christmas with my family today.  Santa is soooo last year.  Mama and Papa are where it's at... and Auntie and Uncle.

As my husband and I are sitting here tonight in our living room, which is lit by the glowing white lights of our beautiful Christmas decorations and filled with the aftermath of a manic gift opening, I am filled with wonder.  I wonder at the love of my family.  I marvel at my beautiful Things and the innocent joy that Christmas brings.  I think about my Christmas' past and all the wonderful memories made, and all the celebrations yet to come.  I am filled with joy that Thing 1 knows that Christmas is about Baby Jesus.  I feel grateful and blessed... and tired (as usual).   I wonder.... if we are rednecks.

My parents travelled from Iowa in their giant red sleigh (i.e. Dodge dually).  I am surprised that they didn't have to bring a trailer for all the gifts that were bestowed upon my children tonight in our pre-Christmas celebration.  The Things and I spent a mostly lovely day with "mama" and "papa"  There were only a few meltdowns, moderate whining and 5 pair of soiled underpants from an overstimulated Thing 1.  (Why is Christmas the equivalent of cocaine?  Someone please explain....)   We took the Things and 148 dogs on a walk in our natural area.  We enjoyed a fabulous, healthy lunch.  I forced my father to feed Thing 2 his baby food (with only moderate whining).  No one threw up too much.  I went to the grocery store with my mom (without children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) AND THAT WAS FREAKING AWESOME! We greeted my sis and her fiance later in the evening and together we prepared a wonderful meal.  The adults sipped glorious booze and watched as the Things opened their obscene amount of gifts.  The dogs ran through the living room like they were filming "Dogs Gone Wild", stealing new toys and other items (see below).  It was wild, wonderful chaos. It all sounds like typical family time- right?

This is where the facts are truly in the details.  The details that I am referring to are in our menu.  We did not eat the typical Christmas fare of turkey or pork.  We choose venison loins.  They were delicious.  My sister's fiance "provided" them.  What I really mean is that he accidentally slammed into a deer with his truck.  He and my father, paying homage to my father's supposed Native American blood, salvaged what they could of the meat.  Waste not, want not.  Hence, we ate roadkill for Christmas dinner.   Which brings me back to the question, "Are we rednecks?"

Eh.  I don't know if I care. 

I'm off to bed for another night of  fraudulent "beauty rest". 

Thing 1 and Papa.


Mama and Papa's new puppy found all kinds
 of wonderful "dog toys" at my house.
I truly hope everyone is having a wonderful Christmas.  Peace and Love to all of you.



No comments:

Post a Comment