Saturday, November 13, 2010

Mommy Fired Herself.

I would like to follow up with my prediction yesterday.  The screaming and snot lasted all day and no one napped. Add to that the fact that I had been up since 5:30 , I was PMSing, Thing 1 spent more minutes in Time Out than playing, I was PMSing, Thing 2 bit me when nursing, it was still winter and I was PMSing. The entire day was a sheer and utter delight.   It was so magical, that as soon as my husband returned home from work, I had slithered off  to shut myself in my bedroom and was found huddling under a pile of blankets on an unmade bed. Putting on sheets is hard.  I don't know if it was my hysterical ranting or the crying, but my often oblivious husband sensed my unbalance and offered to give Thing 1 dinner (which I did prepare... thank you) and brought me a very full glass of wine.

As I was slurping the nectar of the Gods from the rim of my glass,  I prepared my plan for my evening. I was going to lie in bed and drink the ridiculous amount of booze in my cup, let it slosh around on an empty stomach, watch all my recorded episodes of Ellen and fall asleep in said unmade bed.  Then the phone rang and my husband interrupted my pity party to inform me that our friend was stopping by for a surprise visit.  I was forced to reschedule my party for another date.  So in walks our fresh faced, beautiful young friend.  Her appearance was positively glowing, which only enhanced my current look of the wicked witch of the swamp people.  She drank a little wine with me, which took the activity from "sad" to "social", and I made a cake! We listened to some new music and visited. It turned me from a despondent subhuman to almost "normal", whatever that means.  To my great surprise, that early morning walk ended up being rivaled with the late night eating of homemade chocolate cake and re watching (for the third time) of Glee.  Yes, I am a Gleek.  Don't let my husband sell you any lies either.  He is a Gleek, too.


Side note: I find it amusing how I sometimes can't find the stamina to prepare dinner for my family, but if there is buttermilk in the refrigerator I can always muster up the energy to make Cowboy Cake.  So, thanks to my girlfriend for giving me this recipe and feeding my sugar addiction.  I know, I'm a health nut.  Try not to be intimidated.



The Breakfast of Champions.

If I am feeling kind I will post the recipe for this later in the week.  :)  I like to dangle carrots like that just to keep you coming back.

Oh forget it, I was never any good at being mysterious or prolonging the inevitable.  Really, what is the point? Here you go.


Cowboy Cake
Preheat oven to 350. Use whisk for entire cake. Do not over mix.

 Melt 2 sticks (1 cup) of butter with 1 cup of water. Add 4 heaping T of Hershey's cocoa. Set aside.

In a large bowl mix:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon

In a small bowl mix:
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, beaten
1 t vanilla
- pour over large bowl mixture. Mix together and then mix in melted ingredients. Pour into a 9x13 greased pan an bake for 30 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack.

FrostingMelt 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
4 reg T Hershey's Cocoa
2 T water
- remove from stove
Add 8 oz powdered sugar
1 t vanilla
4 t buttermilk
Beat by hand. Pour on cooled cake.
Cake is best when refrigerated.

2 comments:

  1. This cake received RAVE reviews up here in MT. And you have proven a great point. Whenever there is snow, there is a good reason to bake to heat up the house! Plus an extra 10 pounds provides ...winter warmth, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always use the winter insulation excuse. Always.

    ReplyDelete